Web Sources for Banned Book Week
Books on Censorship & Book Banning
The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You To Read by Jim Trombetta (2010).
Scales on Censorship: Real Life Lessons from School Library Journal by Pat Scales (2015).
More Books on Censorship
Dave Pilkey's Banned Books Week Video
Checklist for BBW Promotion
Checklist for Banned Book Week Promotion in School:
- Order the latest bookmarks, posters & other promotional materials from http://www.alastore.ala.org/ over the summer.
- Order a t-shirt from Café Press or Zazzle T-shirts online over the summer and wear them at school in Sept./Oct.
- Check http://www.ala.org/bbooks/ for the latest information on the upcoming BBW celebration, including the most recent top ten list of banned books.
- Read books that have been banned and bookmark passages that might be offensive for classroom discussion with students.
- Ask ELA teachers if they would like to collaborate on a lesson on the topic of banned books. Do this at the very beginning of the school year!!!
- Look through Pinterest for book display ideas to promote interest in the topic.
- Create a great book display and/or bulletin board!!
- Find or create a lesson on the topic of censorship and book banning from one of the sites on the RCSD BBW libguide.
- Share your lesson (and displays) with other librarians.